Monday 3 May 2010

Comic Heroes

Recently reconoitering the hallowed pages of 2000AD I identified a recent launch, specifically that of Comic Heroes.
A new UK based Comics magazine, produced by the publishers of SFX, the first issue weighed in at a hefty £8.99 but provided plenty of material to review.

Pulling no punches the first issue provides a double sided A0 poster, with the new Batman and Robin artwork on the reverse, Wolverine Origins comic, 2000 AD fridge magnets and 130 perfectly bound pages of Future Publishing best.
First impressions are, as one might expect, of a quality publication with potential regular slots such as Your Guide to...., The Art of...., Retrospective...., Comic Icons as well as all of the necessary News and Reviews.

The reviews themselves come across with great integrity, written by recognised "names", giving clear reasoning and a good feel of the reviewed product.
This months guide was How to Write for Comics and very revealing to myself, as a grunt GI, discussing story arcs and pacing via three part scenes.

As a recent returnee to the Fanboy fold it did an excellent job of reminding me of some of the stips that I devoured as a youth as well as highlighting some on the newer titles that have escaped my attention.

Despite being a UK publication a worldview is provided with a strong movie cross-over theme with Iron Man, Kick Ass and Superman featuring heavily in this first issue. My feeling is that this may a little mainstream for some and it is fair to offer "something for everyone". The second issue is due on Tuesday 15th June and it will be interesting to see if the bias shifts at all. I understand that further publication will depend on sales figures but I had to look high and low to find my copy so there seems to be plenty of take-up.

Comic Heroes shall remain securely within my sights.

No comments:

Post a Comment